How this Site Works
This site is designed to function both as a resource for those interested in learning more about Wills and Will preparation, and to provide a free service that guides you through the process of writing your own Will.
If you are interested in learning more about Will requirements, whether you are a good candidate for writing your own Will, and other related legal issues before you begin writing your Will, you may want to visit the Legal Information and FAQs sections of this site. The simple Will you’ll produce using this service is intended to cover most general situations. If the free simple Will is not sufficient for your needs (i.e. you have a more complicated estate), you should seek legal counsel and may be better served by another estate planning tools.
When you are ready to begin drafting your Will, simply navigate to the Do Your Own Will page and follow the step-by-step process summarized below. The site will prompt you to enter the necessary information as you go along, so don’t worry about remembering the information below.
- Read and agree to the site’s disclaimer
- Select your marital status and whether you have children
- Enter your personal information (name, address)
- Name an Executor for your Will
- If desired, note specific items to be given to designated individuals or organizations
- Describe how remaining assets will be distributed
- Confirm a summary of the information you have entered
- Save your document in Adobe PDF or editable text format
- Follow the signing instructions at the end of the document
The free service produces a Will that is valid in all states (except Louisiana).